At Home Truths we conduct the viewings on your behalf, where possible, and we find that most purchasers find it easier to ask questions of us rather than the owner of the property. Second viewings will provide and opportunity for you to meet with a potential buyer and answer any questions they may have.
Before every viewing, you need to prepare your house to look its best for potential buyers and here are some top tips to make your home as welcoming as possible:
- Ensure that your viewers can park. Remove your own car from the drive or if you have on-street parking have a friendly chat with your neighbours and see if space can be made.
- Leave all the lights on and if it’s cold put the heating on. If you are fortunate enough to have a real fire in your home, make sure that it is lit. Show it off!
- Give every room a good clean!
- Tidy away personal belongings into bedside tables and kitchen drawers.
- Invest in diffusers that smell and look lovely and think of buying fresh flowers to place in key areas such as the kitchen, on the table or in the lounge.
- Ensure all beds are made and cushions are plumped up.
- If you have a fire pit or garden furniture that can be arranged in the garden set them up to show this space off as another entertaining space bring the cushions out and add a tray with drinks or a throw with a book.
- Office Space is a key factor for many buyers who are keen to work from home. Is there an area of your home that could be utilised for this purpose? Give the potential buyer lots to think about!
- Clear away any laundry, do all the washing up and put everything away. Don’t leave it to drain!
- Keep your pets away. Let a friend or family member pet sit for an hour, as not everyone likes them.
If you are showing your home to potential buyers:
- Don’t highlight any negatives in your home or the area that you live.
- Paint a picture of your lifestyle, tell the viewers what you really enjoy about living in your home and in the area.
- Don’t cook any odorous foods the evening before. Stay away from cabbage, curry. Go the extra mile and create pleasant aroma’s of freshly baked bread, biscuits or coffee as these really do work.
- Always finish the viewing in your favourite room of the house. If it’s your favourite room, then there is a strong possibility that your viewer will love it too!
How do you find out what your viewers think of your home?
After the viewing, whether or not you have conducted it yourself, it is estate your agents’ job to inform you of what the viewers thought about your property.
At Home Truths we have a constructive feedback process and will contact each viewer following their appointment. We also ask viewers what they would offer, whether they are planning to or not, as this gives us and the vendor an idea of whether your property is marketed at the right price.
It is always easy to give positive feedback, however, a good agent will always give you the downside too, if that is what they have been told. This is important so that where possible you can address any minor issues especially if there is a common theme.
We endeavour to get your viewing feedback as soon as possible, normally within 24 hours.
This feedback can be used alongside how your property is performing on the internet to ensure that the marketing approach is generating the desired results.
If your current estate agent is not providing you with constructive feedback then give the Home Truths team a call on 01257 451673!