Preparing your house to go on the market
The time has come for you to put your property on the market and show it off.
This is a lot like going on a date – you want to look at your absolute best.
So here are some pointers to ensure your property stands out from the crowd when your photographs are taken.
- Tidy up and declutter, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom. Try to make all surfaces as clear as possible.
- Make sure beds are made properly and cushions and are pillows plumped
- Have your windows cleaned
- Remove dressing gowns from the backs of doors– you would be amazed how many leopard skin prints appear on Rightmove.
- Clear away toys, personal belongings, vegetable racks, toiletries, bins and buckets, towels and oven gloves
- Mow the lawns and tidy the garden try and introduce colour with some additional bedding plants if possible
- Think about adding some flowers or maybe a bottle of wine and some glasses to the kitchen or seating areas.
- If you are looking for inspiration have a look at our recently listed properties.
- Move the ironing and maiden out of the way . This could be at the last minute and could be moved to another room during your listing appointment.
- If you have an open fire or log burner ensure it is roaring for the photos and if it summer and you have a hot tub or garden water feature make sure it is turned on.
- Set up your garden furniture with cushions, parasol and show it off with a try with tea and biscuits or a throw with a book. Stage your fire pit in the winter with seating a few throws and outside lanterns.
By doing these simple things your will attract admiring glances both on the internet and when people arrive to view.
But it will take more than luck to sell your home quickly, it does take planning to convince potential buyers to make an offer. So here are a few more pointers to ensure your property stands out from the crowd.
Have a really good clear out. If you haven’t used a certain item in over a year, you probably don’t need it. This is a great time to remove unwanted items before you need to start packing them away for your new home. It is a new start after all!
Make sure beds are made and that personal belongings have been tidied away. Clear away toys, vegetable racks, toiletries, bins and oven gloves. Clean everything off your kitchen counters before viewings. Essential items that you use daily can be tucked away in small boxes that you can place in a cupboard when they’re not in use.
Make minor repairs. It is worth making a few small repairs, for example, replace cracked floor tiles and patch up any holes in the walls.
Remember you want as much light as possible in your home. Open the curtains and turn those lights and lamps on, all of them!
This may be obvious, but make sure that your home is clean. When you are preparing your home for photographs and viewings make sure that it is cleaner than it has ever been. It needs to go beyond the normal day to day clean. Your home should sparkle!
Mow the lawns, tidy the garden, think about curb appeal does your home look welcoming?
By doing these simple things you will attract admiring glances both on the internet and when people arrive to view.